Friday, July 26, 2013

Clean all the things!


Okay, so I had this craving to clean all the things! Mostly the bathroom...
I decided to create my own cleaners than to buy icky smelling chemicals. Grabbing the recipes from here.
So off to the local Walmarts I went. My overall total, if you include bottles, was about $14.

Tub and Tile cleaner:
Fill a spray bottle with:

  • 1 1/3 cup Baking soda
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil-based liquid soap
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp Vinegar

(shake before using)
Apply with cloth or sponge and rinse well

I used this and it worked pretty well! I would recommend you get a really good spray bottle though, mine clogged up and stopped working at some point. I just dumped a little bit on my sponge as I went along. You have to rinse well, otherwise you are going to have dry patches of powder.
I also used this on the floor, I think it meant tiles that are on bathroom walls. Not laminate floor tiles. My floors didn't seem to shine after rinsing.

Glass Cleaner:

  • 1/4 Vinegar
  • 4 cups warm water

This works as well as Windex and so much cheaper! No streaks of any kind. The vinegar smells stronger after the water cools. Unless you hate vinegar, I'd recommend doing this.

Scouring Powder:

  • 1 cup Baking Soda
  • 1 cup Borax
  • 1 cup Kosher Salt
Sprinkle on desired spots, wipe with sponge and rinse.


It works well on tough stains. I used this on the floors, it took the stains off without much problem. Let is soak for a minute or so.

Overall my cleaning excursion was fun! I may do another one of these when I clean other areas of the house using other green products.

Do you use any 'green' or 'do-it-yourself' cleaning products?
Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment