Friday, June 28, 2013

Memes: the social media art-form!

What makes a good Meme?

As much as I love a good Meme picture, it seems lately that all I see are Meme pictures. Blowing up everywhere all over the internet, I would say about 70% of the posts I see on my Facebook page is either a Meme or some other type of captioned picture.

Then I got thinking, What is a Meme? What makes a Meme good?


What is a Meme?

Memes, in my definition, are pictures that are captioned with text. Usually using large white font, the wording on the Meme may change due to the circumstance, but pictures commonly used to convey a certain feeling are usually the same almost worldwide.

Why do we love Memes?

I think that Memes are used so much because it is a form of expressing feelings upon a subject. A social art form of sorts. Memes are like an inner joke with everyone who uses the internet.
Also with Meme generators, they're extremely easy to make!

Most well known and also my favorites:

Grumpy cat is by far the most popular and most used Meme at this time. There's just something about this sourpuss that everyone just seems to love, including myself!


One does not simply:

I believe this was one of the first few Memes I noticed. I've often seen this when someone wanted to state that a certain action is either difficult to do, or to not do. I only see this Meme once in a while.

Y U NO guy:

When I first saw this I thought "That's one ugly picture". That's when I learned about Memes, Trolls, and trolling. I almost never see this image anymore, although I usually see people posting the text "Y U NO xyz?!?!". Has Y U NO guy just become too ugly to post?


Frylock:

Usually this Meme is "Not sure if X, or just Y". I've seen many different references with this one. Usually to poke fun at something or to show a certain topic that's stupid, because well, Frylock isn't all that smart...


Most interesting man:

This is usually a "I don't always X, but when I do Y". I usually see it as a debunking Meme. Unless I am looking for this pic, I haven't seen this one in a while.


So what type of Memes do you like?


No comments:

Post a Comment